BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate G45 BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-30-2024, 10:20 PM   #1
my_beemmer
Rep
Drives: N/A

Mobility Kit vs Space Saver

I placed the order sometime back along with a mobility kit.

Recently, I went on to US configurator to check details on HK system config and noticed that now a new `important` banner under `mobility kit` suggests that taking this option removes space saver tire. This I didn't know about earlier. No wonder I was surprised to see mobility kit listed for $0 earlier, but now it all makes sense! lol.

My order status is currently 112 (scheduled for production), so I can remove 'Mobility Kit' from the order if that makes more sense.

This is my first car purchase and my first BMW. I have always driven with RF tires, so don't know much about non-RFs. So, appreciate any help and insights, and sorry for any dumb questions below. TIA.

Some context:
1. I don't mind reduced cargo space. X3 is much much bigger than what I really need today.
2. I have changed tires before, but never repaired it myself.
3. On occasion, I do plan on using the car for long road trips (across states).

Questions:
1. How long can you go on spare before going to a garage (or calling AAA)?
2. For minor holes/issues, will mobility kit's fix hold permanently? Or do I still need to get the tire "fixed" to avoid permanent damage?
3. I'm getting 20" staggered setup, I'm guessing that shouldn't be an issue.
4. Is OEM spare RF or non-RF?
5. Is using mobility kit faster than changing tires? (I would imagine so)
6. I'm guessing getting a mobility kit will be cheaper than getting a space saver?
Attached Images

Last edited by my_beemmer; 08-31-2024 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2024, 08:58 AM   #2
14Down
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i, X3 M40i, M Roadster

The spare is labeled temporary for a reason. It is non-run flat. I wouldn't go more than about 50 miles and 50 mph max speed (same as a run flat tire), but check manual to be sure. I have the space-saver tire on our X3 and have had mobility kits before.

Get the space-saver over the mobility kit. The kit is just a temporary measure to get you going and you have to get the tire fixed (assuming it can be) and have the "gunk" from the kit removed from the rim when doing the permanent repair. There are non BMW kits that are similar to the mobility kit (have one from Bridgestone as well and its cheap insurance just in case). The mobility kit may be faster than changing a tire but it is very messy when repairing. Also, the kit will not work if your sidewall gets a large cut/hole.
Appreciate 2
      08-31-2024, 09:30 AM   #3
Stockwell
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan GTS, BMW X3 30i

The 2025 X3 come with NON Runflat tires! so a spare tire will be way more safe than a emergency tire kit.

I hate those "gunk" as when you bring your punctured tire to repair (patch), they have to remove those "gunk" from Wheel, also the tire inner side which sometime cannot be done. i.e. purchase new tire.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2024, 01:17 PM   #4
puckhead85
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 X5M Comp

You also have think about a full blowout not just a puncture.
I was driving home from work late Friday night, hit a pot hole and had a blowout Luckily I was able to control the car and pull over safely. I had a 3 inch hole in my tire. There was no way it was going to be repaired. Luckily AAA came and I had my spare tire and was able to drive home slowly but I made it and deal with it the next morning.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2024, 05:58 PM   #5
my_beemmer
Rep
Drives: N/A

Appreciate everyone for sharing thoughts and experiences.
Reached out to my dealer to removed mobility kit from the order.

Also, I just realized, earlier I unintentionally swapped (RF and non-RF) in my sentences. Updated the post now.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2024, 06:17 PM   #6
MidnightLight
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3

Good call. I once got a huge gash in my tire while out in the middle of nowhere on my way to a national park. Having a spare tire saved me. After I finally hobbled my way to a tire shop back in civilization, they confirmed that the broken tire was unrepairable. I'd take a spare tire any day, even if it's just a donut.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2024, 01:31 AM   #7
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

So let me see if I understand things correctly…

1) As a standard feature, all 2025 X3’s come with a spare tire. It is a donut size tire (not full size), and it is NOT run-flat. Please confirm.
2) With the standard spare tire installed inside the vehicle, does it raise the floor of the trunk by a few inches, just like the previous version X3?
3) What is the benefit of omitting the spare tire and ordering the mobility kit? Is it that the vehicle is lighter? Is the floor not raised? Can the space occupied by the spare tire now be used for storage, under the floor?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2024, 02:05 AM   #8
MidnightLight
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3

The floor of the trunk is not raised with the spare tire. It's properly integrated now instead of getting hacked on afterward, unlike the previous generation (G01).
Appreciate 0