BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate G45 BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-25-2024, 11:20 AM   #1
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
X3 Dashboard/Doorcard Comparison

While we wait for people to take their deliveries, it'd be cool to see some comparisons of the controversial dashboard, if you come across them in the wild.

Found a good YouTube vid comparing a 30e with the standard dash versus an M50 with the woven/textile dash.

If I had to pick, I honestly wouldn't know how to choose without sitting in both. A bit of glare and heat reduction with the woven dash seems cool, but having scratchy textures on the doorcards is a big turn-off. While the textile might not show dust as easily, it's probably way worse to actually have to wipe down like the standard smooth dash; once again, a plus and a minus. Thoughts?

Interestingly enough, the 30e doesn't seem to have those weird stitching seams that some of the other pics have had. Not sure what's up with that.
Attached Images

07-25-2024, 11:48 AM   #2
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
Looks like on both the US xDrive30 and M50:
- The "Perforated and Quilted" interior options don't have the dashboard stitching by the screen
- The "Black M Alcantara" and all the "Extended Merino" color options do have the 3-stripe stitching by the screen

Odd that there's basically 3 dash options, then: default, default with the stitching, and then woven/textile, which overrides all.
Attached Images

Last edited by Equilibrandt; 07-25-2024 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2024, 11:59 AM   #3
avi66
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrandt View Post
While we wait for people to take their deliveries, it'd be cool to see some comparisons of the controversial dashboard, if you come across them in the wild.

Found a good YouTube vid comparing a 30e with the standard dash versus an M50 with the woven/textile dash.

If I had to pick, I honestly wouldn't know how to choose without sitting in both. A bit of glare and heat reduction with the woven dash seems cool, but having scratchy textures on the doorcards is a big turn-off. While the textile might not show dust as easily, it's probably way worse to actually have to wipe down like the standard smooth dash; once again, a plus and a minus. Thoughts?

Interestingly enough, the 30e doesn't seem to have those weird stitching seams that some of the other pics have had. Not sure what's up with that.

BMW describe the “luxury” dash/door card tops as knitted texture made from recycled polyester, so draw your own conclusion about a knitted texture, and ease of cleaning etc. Some other materials in the cabin are made from recycled fishing nets.

The interior material choice will dictate the standard dash finish as it varies (some options have the weird stitching), and the luxury knitted finish is a cost option.

Seems BMW is targeting the ECO buyer.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2024, 01:19 PM   #4
MidnightLight
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3

Thanks for starting this thread. I had similar questions, and I also noticed the oddity of the stitching changing with the seat upholstery.

So far I'm leaning against the textile dashboard. I like that it adds visual interest -- but having dealt with fabric finishes before in other car interiors, I'm pretty sure it'll be a headache to clean.

Do we know what material the "non-luxury" (lol) dashboard will be made out? It appears to be soft touch plastic, but I l'm not 100% sure.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2024, 02:07 AM   #5
avi66
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

This is a close-up of the Luxury knitted dash option on the car BMW was showing in the UK.

I wonder how easy it is to pluck on jewellery, finger nails, etc. Probably best to avoid wearing sunscreen or anything that will transfer or get into the knitt.
Attached Images

Last edited by avi66; 07-27-2024 at 03:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2024, 03:42 PM   #6
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

The more pics I see of this abomination of a car the more I want to 🤢🤮.
      07-27-2024, 04:36 PM   #7
DocMarshall
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 22 Ford Raptor

Different tastes for different folks. I like it, as does my wife, so we are getting her one of the M50's.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2024, 04:56 PM   #8
avi66
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi View Post
The more pics I see of this abomination of a car the more I want to ����.
I seriously wonder if any of the people that design these cars ever actually use one regularly, or have any idea about the practicality of the surfaces and materials they use.

Like I said in another post, look at a league table of the worlds ugliest cars, and someone will have purchased them and will defended them. ��

It’s great how people order cars without seeing one first hand or even driving one, but that’s just people.

Last edited by avi66; 07-28-2024 at 03:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2024, 06:00 PM   #9
MidnightLight
Private First Class
Rep

I suspect the textile dashboard was added just to give BMW's marketing department a talking point about their eco-friendliness and sustainability. But in reality most builds won't include it. The car designers are probably fully aware of the downsides, but just had to placate their marketing colleagues.

Little wonder then that they buried this as an obscure standalone option in the configurator, even though it's front and center in their marketing photos.
Appreciate 1
avi663478.00
      07-27-2024, 06:35 PM   #10
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
I seriously wonder if any of the people that design these cars every actual use one regularly, or have any idea about the practicality of the surfaces and materials they use.

Like I said in another post, look at a league table of the worlds ugliest cars, and someone will have purchased them and will defended them. 😂

It great how people order cars without seeing one first hand or even driving one, but that’s just people.

I watched the interview with the BMW interior and exterior designers. I'm convinced they were given the direction to make the car 'nonbinary'. Not masculine. Not feminine. As neutral as possible. Zero emotion. A perfect economy class car. And also prioritize cheapening up interior by playing the environmental card. Uggg! 🤢🤮
      07-28-2024, 03:37 AM   #11
avi66
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I watched the interview with the BMW interior and exterior designers. I'm convinced they were given the direction to make the car 'nonbinary'. Not masculine. Not feminine. As neutral as possible. Zero emotion. A perfect economy class car. And also prioritize cheapening up interior by playing the environmental card. Uggg! 🤢🤮
Woke design, deep joy.
Appreciate 2
      07-28-2024, 01:04 PM   #12
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

plain and simple … garbage materials and design
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2024, 03:00 PM   #13
avi66
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Dash texture/Stitch detail on Verganza Alcatraz mix and Merino options -
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-28-2024, 07:46 PM   #14
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
Woke design, deep joy.

Yes sadly...

One thing that I can't compute is why they keep going with pig snouts. I mean it looks exactly like a pig. How can any of the designers look at that and say "YES! THAT'S IT!!!". And now they doubled down on it by outlinging it with lights!? You can't make this stuff up.
      07-28-2024, 08:45 PM   #15
MidnightLight
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
One thing that I can't compute is why they keep going with pig snouts. I mean it looks exactly like a pig. How can any of the designers look at that and say "YES! THAT'S IT!!!".
I mean... you can probably say that about any BMW, no?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2024, 01:56 AM   #16
avi66
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by covwboy View Post
is that plastic or eco leather?
By Eco leather do you mean what BMW is calling Veganza ?

I’d be surprised if it’s wasn’t some Eco Veganza type stuff, but it’s doesn’t look good on the seats either imo. That’s the dash you get with the seat material option in the image below.

BMW appears to be covering the reduction in interior quality by Eco washing.
Attached Images

Last edited by avi66; 07-29-2024 at 04:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2024, 03:37 AM   #17
avi66
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by covwboy View Post
yes, veganza means eco leather
on dash it looks much better than "luxury" knitted textile
but on the upper part of the seats those alcantara adds look horrible

even merino leather has those additions with grey leather but it looks nice because both have the same surface

for me the best option is merino black+ atlas grey
if veganza+alcantara comes with veganza dash i have to accept

the question is veganza black comes with plastic oraz veganza (without stitchings) dash?
Yup, Veganza is BMW’s plastic faux leather, which BMW calls “leatherette” here.

BMW’s ECO wash credential is less CO2 during productions compared to leather, but as far as I can tell it’s petrochemical derived.

In the UK the black Veganza seat option doesn’t come with the weird stitching on the dash.

My guess is the dash with weird stitching is a vinyl like covering to allow the stitching, but the base is likely solid plastic material similar to base G01 dash.

Merino is the highest quality option, but is let down by the quality of materials elsewhere in the interior, and the weird dash stitching.

This video appears to show the base dash in the blue 30 model with cloth interior.

Last edited by avi66; 07-29-2024 at 05:38 AM..
Appreciate 0