BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate G45 BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-02-2024, 12:51 PM   #1
x3g01
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

2025 X3 LWB (G48) - Best Version?

The long-wheelbase version of the new X3 for the China market (G48) was revealed this week and as far as I can tell from walkaround videos from Chinese media, there are a few elements in the interior that help to make the car noticeably more premium vs. the international G45 version that has been cheapened out significantly compared to the G01 generation. I would prefer to not have a LWB car for better handling and proportions but I’m really hoping that these changes make it to the G45 version sold in the U.S. and elsewhere as soon as possible. Personally, coming from owning 3 U.S. spec G01 X3s I did not consider ordering/waiting for a G45 when I most recently changed cars last month because of how disappointingly cheap the interior feels and looks.

The following are the elements I have noticed that the China-market G48 has that are lacking in the G45:

1. Metal door handles vs. Black plastic in the international version - I think this is a big deal as the plastic unpainted handles look like they are from a $20K car

2. Has door sill labels (and on both front and back doors!) whereas the international version does not have them at all - again the bare door sills just aren’t good enough in my opinion and the G01 at least had them on the front doors

3. Ambient lighting strip on the back doors vs just a decorative silver trim on the international version - the G01 had a very nice double strip of ambient lighting on the rear doors but the international G45 removed them altogether

4. Panoramic sky lounge roof with LED lighting - I still prefer a roof that can open but at least this makes the roof more interesting looking

5. You also have more seat trim colors, including a Tacora Red-like color that has been eliminated from the international version but which was really popular on the G01.

6. Obviously not necessary items, but worth pointing out the LWB version also gets a wireless charging pad in the rear seats and pillow-like rear headrests

The worst part about all this is that because of how competitive the Chinese car market currently is with all the new EV startups, Chinese consumers will likely get all of these added features for a lower price than almost any other country. While the G48 X3’s pricing has not been revealed yet, as an example, a current-gen Mercedes GLC300L 4Matic in China has an MSRP of 477.5K CNY, but because of competitive pressures there is currently on average a 140K CNY discount, bringing the price down to less than 340K CNY, which is equivalent to less than $48K USD. And again much like the BMW, you are getting the benefit of a LWB car and a lot more standard features (including the AMG line bodykit, 360 camera, pano roof, etc) at a lower price than what is paid in the U.S./almost every other country.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
avi663478.00
      09-02-2024, 01:16 PM   #2
avi66
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

The front is also different and seems to combine elements of the 30 and M50 but with additional trim.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
x3g0147.00
myg4512.00
      09-02-2024, 02:34 PM   #3
myg45
Private
Rep
Drives: Toyota Sienna 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3g01 View Post
The long-wheelbase version of the new X3 for the China market (G48) was revealed this week and as far as I can tell from walkaround videos from Chinese media, there are a few elements in the interior that help to make the car noticeably more premium vs. the international G45 version that has been cheapened out significantly compared to the G01 generation. I would prefer to not have a LWB car for better handling and proportions but I’m really hoping that these changes make it to the G45 version sold in the U.S. and elsewhere as soon as possible. Personally, coming from owning 3 U.S. spec G01 X3s I did not consider ordering/waiting for a G45 when I most recently changed cars last month because of how disappointingly cheap the interior feels and looks.

The following are the elements I have noticed that the China-market G48 has that are lacking in the G45:

1. Metal door handles vs. Black plastic in the international version - I think this is a big deal as the plastic unpainted handles look like they are from a $20K car

2. Has door sill labels (and on both front and back doors!) whereas the international version does not have them at all - again the bare door sills just aren’t good enough in my opinion and the G01 at least had them on the front doors

3. Ambient lighting strip on the back doors vs just a decorative silver trim on the international version - the G01 had a very nice double strip of ambient lighting on the rear doors but the international G45 removed them altogether

4. Panoramic sky lounge roof with LED lighting - I still prefer a roof that can open but at least this makes the roof more interesting looking

5. You also have more seat trim colors, including a Tacora Red-like color that has been eliminated from the international version but which was really popular on the G01.

6. Obviously not necessary items, but worth pointing out the LWB version also gets a wireless charging pad in the rear seats and pillow-like rear headrests

The worst part about all this is that because of how competitive the Chinese car market currently is with all the new EV startups, Chinese consumers will likely get all of these added features for a lower price than almost any other country. While the G48 X3’s pricing has not been revealed yet, as an example, a current-gen Mercedes GLC300L 4Matic in China has an MSRP of 477.5K CNY, but because of competitive pressures there is currently on average a 140K CNY discount, bringing the price down to less than 340K CNY, which is equivalent to less than $48K USD. And again much like the BMW, you are getting the benefit of a LWB car and a lot more standard features (including the AMG line bodykit, 360 camera, pano roof, etc) at a lower price than what is paid in the U.S./almost every other country.
I really like the red leather interior. Will that be an option for order?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2024, 04:07 PM   #4
x3g01
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by myg45 View Post
I really like the red leather interior. Will that be an option for order?
Not for markets outside of China until there is a model year update/LCI, if at all
Appreciate 1
myg4512.00