BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate G45 BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-03-2024, 10:23 PM   #23
MidnightLight
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3

Thank you Horatiu (hb) for your detailed reporting, fair journalism, and most of all for representing the BMW enthusiast community's concerns and perspectives to the folks at BMW. Really appreciate what you and your colleagues do.

Looking forward to your full review of the G45 M50 whenever it comes out.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2024, 12:14 AM   #24
hb
Private
Rep
Drives: i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightLight View Post
Thank you Horatiu (hb) for your detailed reporting, fair journalism, and most of all for representing the BMW enthusiast community's concerns and perspectives to the folks at BMW. Really appreciate what you and your colleagues do.

Looking forward to your full review of the G45 M50 whenever it comes out.
Thank you. Very kind of you. My offer still stands: if the community has any specific questions, requests, please let me know. I can ask their engineers and product managers, I can also review certain features, focus on specific aspects of the test drive, and more. The deadline to get those in is next Monday.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2024, 01:27 AM   #25
avi66
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb View Post
No one loses any privileges if you don't post just positive things. You can safely watch those pre-drive videos. They are not as controlled as you think. You're in the car driving and talking about it, no one will slap your hand if you say something negative.

Btw, BMW usess these events to lead the marketing for a new car, but that doesn't mean it changes how one reviews the car. It's exactly the same process as a normal test drive. The only different is that sometimes you need to drive inside a testing facility, like Miramas. Which is fine, they have great roads inside and a great track.
I read it from someone on the internet, so it must be true, especially when it comes to product promotion and “press “. See it myself, drive it myself, make up my own mind.

It’s simply a matter of trust, and why would I trust what you, or anyone else says. Hence, I draw my own conclusions, and everyone is free to do the same.

Last edited by avi66; 09-04-2024 at 02:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2024, 03:00 AM   #26
mart1nco
Rep
Drives: BMW 120i F40

Quote:
Thank you. Very kind of you. My offer still stands: if the community has any specific questions, requests, please let me know. I can ask their engineers and product managers, I can also review certain features, focus on specific aspects of the test drive, and more. The deadline to get those in is next Monday.
Thank you, Horatiu, for your and your team's work, always a pleasure to watch videos and read blog posts.

With regards to X3 M50, I'd be interested in more details into updated 48 V mild-hybrid system, especially how the following works in practice (quoted from official press release):
"The crankshaft-mounted starter generator of the petrol models additionally enables purely electric driving at very low speeds, such as when parking and manoeuvring. " Whether this works for example while parking/moving the car remotely using a phone (available with Parking Assistant Professional package), in case the battery is sufficiently charged.

Also the a/c compressor is now electric, so wondering if it can be powered for limited period of time while engine is off for some extra cooling in hot days.

Furthermore seeing the front/rear camera cleaning in action would be fun, as well as how the car sounds inside with IconicSounds on or off in Personal & Sport modes.

And one small observation while trying out iDrive 9 in iX1 at the dealer (don't remember exact subversion though) - I've noticed that when Park Assist view is on the screen, popup for adjusting seat/steering wheel heating is not shown because it is obstructed with/behind the view from the cameras. As soon as you jump out from the Park Assist screen, the popup is visible. Hence thinking if this is intended feature or bug and will be the same with X3.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2024, 04:19 AM   #27
JonasM40i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i LCI

Quote:
I would be interested, why the M50 got the 2 port exhaust manifold and not the 6 port exhaust manifold like in the G01.

The G01 always had the "high output" version of the B58 and now it has the "medium output" version.

Why that move?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2024, 09:19 AM   #28
driveseeker
Private
Rep
Drives: '19 X3 M40i, '23 M2

Quote:
I would appreciate knowing if the G45 wheels will have the same bolt pattern and center bore as the G01.

Many thanks for your reporting.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2024, 09:30 AM   #29
mathur
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Thanks for this. I would like to know what features the Drivers Assistance Professional Package adds over the “ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant” that is contained in the premium package.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2024, 09:36 AM   #30
hb
Private
Rep

Keep them coming, I'll compile a list and get some answers. Will try to split this in two parts: an FAQ with the engineers and then a separate video piece for the driving portion where I can answer some questions related to driving and tech.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2024, 09:56 AM   #31
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Here’s one for the electrical engineers. What’s their timing for moving past lithium ion batteries to LFP or semi or full solid state to reduce chances of thermal runaway? A new X7 mild hybrid self-ignited not that long ago and did much damage.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2024, 10:11 AM   #32
hb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Here’s one for the electrical engineers. What’s their timing for moving past lithium ion batteries to LFP or semi or full solid state to reduce chances of thermal runaway? A new X7 mild hybrid self-ignited not that long ago and did much damage.
This might be a tough one to answer. They rarely focus on future products and unlikely to even touch on this at a driving event. I will have more battery-related workshops in the future and I can ask then. I did cover that topic in the past though quite a bit and there was no definitive answer at the time.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2024, 10:40 AM   #33
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
This might be a tough one to answer. They rarely focus on future products and unlikely to even touch on this at a driving event. I will have more battery-related workshops in the future and I can ask then. I did cover that topic in the past though quite a bit and there was no definitive answer at the time.
“On background”
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2024, 12:15 PM   #34
MidnightLight
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3

Kind of a minor detail, but I'd love to see how the standard space-saver spare tire looks when it's actually in the trunk storage. We haven't seen it yet in any of the pre-production walkthroughs.

Might be interesting to also ask about why they moved away from the default run-flats from the G01.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2024, 12:31 AM   #35
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

hb, maybe comment about the headroom compared to the G01 X3. The exterior roofline was lowered 1”, but BMW claims the inside clearance wasn’t compromised, because they supposedly lowered the interior floor similarly by 1”.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2024, 09:28 AM   #36
hb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
hb, maybe comment about the headroom compared to the G01 X3. The exterior roofline was lowered 1”, but BMW claims the inside clearance wasn’t compromised, because they supposedly lowered the interior floor similarly by 1”.
Sure. I think I already did a video on this actually where I tested that.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2024, 01:09 AM   #37
JonasM40i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by covwboy View Post
exhaust manifold integrated with the head is in Gen3 of the B58 engine
after all, the M50 has more power than the M40i (G01)
are these 3-in-1 head manifolds really a restriction in achieving 500HP (remap ECU)?
it was supposed to reduce the turbo lag and probably gives more torque from lower revs
This integrated manifold ist not new at the Gen3.

At the Gen2 the engine with that integrated exhaust manifold was called "medium output" version and was in the Z4, for example.

500whp will be hard with the integrated exhaust manifold as I know. For shure you will need much more as just a remap.

On the paper it has more power, I would suggest. In my opinion they just added the mild hybrid power, which they did not count until now, as far is I know. The acceleration times are likely the same, as far as i know, right?

It is nonetheless a great engine, but the tuning potential is simply not as good as it was.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2024, 05:47 AM   #38
Andre.j
Registered
Rep
Drives: Touran

Are the inner door handles as bad and plastic as they seem. I just can not understand how you can cut costs at the one thing you touch everytime. My 10 year old VW has metal inner door handles.

I wonder if I can replace them with the metal ones in the chinese version of the car.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2024, 06:10 AM   #39
hb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre.j View Post
Are the inner door handles as bad and plastic as they seem. I just can not understand how you can cut costs at the one thing you touch everytime. My 10 year old VW has metal inner door handles.

I wonder if I can replace them with the metal ones in the chinese version of the car.
They are not great. I mentioned that exact thing to a product manager: when I touch a door handle, I like to feel a cold material. Something that evokes an emotion. Even if it sounds silly for a door handle.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2024, 10:55 AM   #40
srekal34
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre.j View Post

They are also plastic in new BMW 5, I was disgusted at the dealership.
However, this is just stupid that new 1er has metal handles but 5er and x3 that can easily cost x2 have plastic...
If its any consolation, handles in new q5 also look plastic on youtube
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2024, 11:10 PM   #41
kungpaocow
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 m40i

Quote:
Keep them coming, I'll compile a list and get some answers. Will try to split this in two parts: an FAQ with the engineers and then a separate video piece for the driving portion where I can answer some questions related to driving and tech.
Thanks for the offer, hb. I’m coming from a 2022 m40i that had a staggered set up. My wife disliked the car as it was quite uncomfortable when sitting in the back seat. I would appreciate your input on the suspension and ride quality of the 2025.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2024, 05:38 AM   #42
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
I read it from someone on the internet, so it must be true, especially when it comes to product promotion and “press “. See it myself, drive it myself, make up my own mind.

It’s simply a matter of trust, and why would I trust what you, or anyone else says. Hence, I draw my own conclusions, and everyone is free to do the same.
Agreed I do not buy cars I have not drive more than 30 minutes, I test drove the 2023 M440i yesterday to get a feel for the new one coming out. Was only allowed 30 minute's I asked extend and got 'it's on sale so no'
I said so it get sold in the next hour then and took it back after the 30 minutes, and moved on..............
      09-12-2024, 06:05 AM   #43
avi66
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Agreed I do not buy cars I have not drive more than 30 minutes, I test drove the 2023 M440i yesterday to get a feel for the new one coming out. Was only allowed 30 minute's I asked extend and got 'it's on sale so no'
I said so it get sold in the next hour then and took it back after the 30 minutes, and moved on..............
It’s not like you’re only spending £50.

My experience of UK BMW dealers is very poor. That said I was looking a new M340i Touring factory order with 17.5% discount, so times must be hard.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2024, 06:47 AM   #44
srekal34
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
It’s not like you’re only spending £50.

My experience of UK BMW dealers is very poor. That said I was looking a new M340i Touring factory order with 17.5% discount, so times must be hard.
For X3 instead UK dealers only give like 4% - even for existing leaseholders. Whereas in Europe you can get 15% discount on X3 w/o a problem.
Appreciate 0